You’ve decided you want to get yourself (or maybe your partner) a sex toy but when you look there are so many options you just don’t know where to start. This handy guide is going to give you a basic idea on picking sex toys, looking at what is out there and how to decide what you want.
Picking Sex Toys
There are six basic types of sex toy:
- Vibrators – These are toys with an internal motor that use vibration to stimulate you. You can get many types; rabbit style, clit only, love eggs, butt plugs, cock rings, and even massage sleeves.
- Dildos – These are usually phallic shaped toys meant to be used for thrusting. They come in a variety of styles and are great if you want something for penetration that doesn’t make a noise.
- Nipple Toys – These can be considered toys on the border between kink and vanilla. If you are someone who loves your partner playing with your nipples they can really add to your sexual pleasure. Start with adjustable ones and work up from there.
- Kegel Exercisers – These aren’t really a sex toy but they can be used to enhance your sexual pleasure, and they are great for building up arousal before you actual get down to things.
- Cock Rings – A great underrated little toy. Depending on size it can go around the base of the cock, or around both cock and balls, or around the top of the ball sack. They can make things harder for longer, and can make things feels more intense for the wearer too.
- Masturbation Aids – Things such as cock sleeves, male masturbators, and male vibrators. These can be a great addition to couples or for men alone. They just give something extra to a hand job.
This is a very broad list, and of course there will be other toys that don’t fit this list but what I am intending here is a where to start guide. First you need to know what you want from your toy, and before you yell “orgasms” at me, I will explain what I mean: Do you want something that you can add to your sexual routine with your partner? Do you want to start with something small and unobtrusive? Would you prefer something for penetration? Or something to stimulate your clit? Do you like broad stimulation (think multiple fingers or palm on your clit) or something more pinpoint (like just a single finger or thumb)?
- For use on men – I think a good place to start are the Tenga Egg range. These are masturbation sleeves that are just to be used a few times before being thrown away. They come in a variety of textures and are a nice way to work out if you enjoy the sensation or not. Then a set of silicone cock rings, like these. These are silicone and you get three sizes so you can play around and see what works best for you.
- For use on ladies – I would suggest starting with something for your clit like the Svakom Echo. This is a small curved, quiet, rechargeable vibrator that would be great for solo play or for couples. Or if you’d like a toy for penetration the FSoG Glass Dildo would be a great start.